Friday, April 16, 2010

'Siddon Rock' wins CWP best first book; 'Solo' wins best book

Siddon Rock by Australian author Glenda Guest (Vintage) is the winner of the ₤5000 (A$8,250) best first book award in this year's Commonwealth Writers Prize.

Solo by Rana Dasgupta (Fourth Estate) was the winner of the overall Commonwealth Writers Prize for best book. The awards were announced in New Delhi.

Guest, whose debut novel has also been longlisted for the Miles Franklin award in Australia, said the award was ‘verification that this is any good, that I can actually write'.

Now in her 60s, Guest said: ‘Although I started to write late in my life I always knew that I would become a novelist. I am stunned to be receiving this attention which is a huge boost to my confidence and will help me to press on with writing my next novel. This shows that it's never too late to start a new endeavour'.

http://www.booksellerandpublisher.com.au/articles/2010/04/15531/

No comments: